Publishers that are applying for certification will need to obtain certain information from their suppliers. Specifically they will need a spreadsheet to be completed by each company from which they have purchased paper. If the publisher purchases paper from a printer then they will need to have this spreadsheet completed by the printer. In cases where the publisher purchases paper directly from the paper manufacturer or a broker, then it is the paper manufacturer or broker who must complete the spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet tracks information about the amount and type of paper that was purchased by the publisher including:
- Contact information for the representative at the printer, paper manufacturer or broker who completed the spreadsheet
- The brand names of each paper supplied
- The name of the paper manufacturer for each paper supplied
- Tons of paper supplied
- Percent of preconsumer recycled content for each paper supplied
- Percentage of postconsumer recycled content for each paper supplied
- Percentage of agricultural or alternative fiber in each paper supplied
- Whether or not each paper is FSC certified
- The bleaching process for each paper supplied (ECF, TCF, PCF or EECF)
- The percentage of fiber in each paper that is certified to the FSC controlled wood standard
- The FSC Certificate Number or FSC Controlled Wood certificate number where applicable
This spreadsheet should be completed by the printer or paper manufacturer that supplied the paper, but it should be returned to the publisher so that they may include it in their application along with other documentation requested for the certification.
The spreadsheet can be downloaded here. Printers, paper manufacturers and paper brokers are encouraged to track all of the requested information for all publishers to make completing this spreadsheet easier and more efficient.